Fort Belvoir, VA
Fort Belvoir, VA
The U.S. Army, Fort Belvoir and Clark Realty Capital, LLC are working together to plan, construct, and operate military family housing communities for Fort Belvoir in Fairfax County, Virginia. The collaboration between the Army and private industry to upgrade the base housing and onsite amenities is known as the Residential Community Initiative or RCI. The initial development plan for Fort Belvoir, which spans eight years, includes the demolition and replacement of 1,630 homes and the renovation of 170 historically significant homes.
The first phase of Jadwin Loop Village opened in June 2008 and consists of six fully rehabilitated historic homes. These wood-framed Craftsman Style homes were originally constructed at the end of World War I, and make up some of the first single-family homes to be built at Fort Belvoir.
The second phase of Jadwin Loop Village opened in May 2009 and consists of 25 fully rehabilitated historic homes and 30 new homes, all designed in the Colonial Revival style.
Bowman Consulting is providing engineering design, land planning, and construction support services for Jadwin Village and Gerber Village. Important features of the project include:
- Great efforts were made to preserve the historic character of this village, and especially to preserve specimen trees located inside of Jadwin Loop.
- Inside the loop is a park with grass fields, a playground, and a multi-purpose court. All homes face the loop and have unobstructed views of the park.
- Low Impact Development approach to storm water management and best management practices (SWM/BMP) including bioretention and underground detention structures.
- Work was conducted within the outer limits of a Bald Eagle nesting area, in accordance with all Federal regulations and seasonal restrictions.
- Alley access was provided to rear of the homes for resident parking. Renovated units have detached 2-car garages, and new units have “tuck under” 2-car garages in their basements.
- Visitor parking was provided on the Loop.