Bowman Consulting was hired in May 2009 by the Town of Vienna for the Maple Avenue project. Bowman’s scope of services includes approximately a mile of comprehensive streetscape enhancement, pedestrian improvements, significant overhead utility undergrounding, storm drain utility analysis and design, a full topographic and property survey, and comprehensive easement and entitlement services.
Working with the Town, Bowman has prepared a streetscape plan and supporting engineering documents that will establish clear design alternatives for the West Maple Avenue corridor; further the “sense of community” and reinforce the Town’s distinctively small town identity; advance economic opportunities; and propose sensible implementation strategies. Bowman’s engineering and landscape architectural efforts were organized into six distinct phases:
Site Reconnaissance and Analysis, Concept Inception and Community Outreach, Design Development, ROW Acquisition, Construction Documentation, and Bidding/Construction phase services.
Some of the improvements to the sidewalk and streetscape include:
- Gateway signs and landscaping
- Pedestrian-friendly sidewalks, clearly identified crossings, and protected seating and parking areas.
- New curbs, gutters, and road surfaces to complement the sidewalk improvements.
- Improvements to side streets intersecting with Main Street.
- Strong pedestrian connections including a new mid-block pedestrian HAWK signal.
- Relocation of overhead utilities to underground duct banks to improve the appearance of Maple Avenue.
- ROW Acquisition and negotiation